Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The 30-Day Music Meme: Day Eight

Day Eight - A song that you know all the words to.

As someone who fancies herself as a writer and a music enthusiast, lyrics are pretty important to me. I'm sure I know the lyrics to lots of songs that I like or love... I love when lyrics are included with the liner notes of an album. One of my favourite things to do is follow along with the lyric booklet when I've just bought a new album. And yes, I do still purchase music in tangible form!

Going off Day Seven's song, I'm going to continue reminiscing about my Weezer obsession in university. I thought Rivers Cuomo's lyrics, especially those on Pinkerton were absolutely brilliant. Tangentially, I was convinced I was going to marry him (hee hee, how ridiculous).

For the record, I like to pretend Weezer doesn't exist beyond the Green Album. Blech. Let us not speak of those releases that followed that album...

Back to Pinkerton. Since this album didn't include lyrics with the liner notes, I remember scouring the internet for accurate lyrics. I think I found them on weezer.com and pored over them endlessly, following along when listening to the songs, etching them to my memory. Then I continued to scour for the deeper meanings of each song, reading on messageboards the speculations of what real-life events inspired Rivers to write each song.

I guess I was pretty obsessed and a little weird at the time. And maybe I should have spent more time studying for my economics midterms instead of researching Weezer lyrics.

In any case, I don't know what it is about this song, but I love it. There was a length of time where Weezer (or Rivers, rather) refused to perform any songs off Pinkerton since its initial poor reception remained a sore spot for the man who penned the songs.

However, when I saw Weezer play Molson Amphitheatre in 2002, it was reported that songs from Pinkerton had begun to emerge this tour. Thinking I would never hear the beloved songs from this album, I think I screamed like a pre-teen at a boyband concert when the first few notes of "El Scorcho" played.



Also, on that note, this (rumoured Blue/Pinkerton tour) totally, absolutely, positively needs to happen. WHO'S WITH ME??

No comments:

Post a Comment