Thursday, October 14, 2010

The 30-Day Music Meme: Day Fourteen

Whoops, it's been a little while since I updated/continued this meme! But at least knowing that I'm only halfway through this meme means that you, lovely readers, are guaranteed 16 more posts (assuming I finish it - which I do plan to do!). And then some, of course. =)

Day 14 - A song that no one would expect you to love

Most friends who don't share similar musical tastes with me assume that I'm abhor from "mainstream" Top 40 radio stuff. While I am self-admittedly a music snob, I won't deny a good pop song when I hear one (see: Day 13 of the meme!).

On the way to get coffee one morning, a Lady GaGa song came on over the store's sound system. My coworker remarked, "Ugh, god, I hate Lady GaGa." I turned to him and said, "What, seriously? Who hates Lady GaGa?" With the same look of surprise, he said to me, "What? You like Lady GaGa? You know who Lady GaGa is?!" (Some context: every now and then, said coworker will bring up a popular song or music group and I'll have no idea what/who he's talking about. Case in point: Pussycat Dolls... I've heard of them, but am not familiar with their music... thankfully.)

But back to my original point: who hates Lady GaGa? How could someone hate Lady GaGa? (Yes, I'm aware that there are plenty of naysayers with their own good reasons for disliking her.) I love her outfits, her persona, her music is catchy as hell and she's a smart, media savvy lady with a queer-posi message to boot. Again I ask, what's not to love?

And so I leave you with this epic video for "Telephone" (again to the haters, who cares if the video doesn't literally translate the song visually? Sorry it's not just Beyonce and GaGa dancing in a loud club, ditching their cell phones). I love this song, don't care who knows it or judges me for it. So there.

No comments:

Post a Comment