Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The 30-Day Music Meme: Day Four

Day Four - A song that makes you sad.

As an angst-y teenager/early 20-something, I'm pretty sure all the music I listened to was sad. The kind of music where you could wallow in a bevy of "no one understands me," "why is life so hard" and a hearty dollop of "Why doesn't he like me?"

When I was 22 and experienced my first breakup, no amount of Radiohead or Elliott Smith (RIP) prepared me for it. As a music lover, my one coping mechanism was making a "breakup mix/playlist." (FYI, Feist's Let It Die is also perfect post-breakup music.)

After much stony insistence that I "didn't care anymore," this song brought me to tears: "Guess I'm Doing Fine" by Beck.



By all standards, Sea Change is a breakup companion album.

It's only lies that I'm living
It's only tears that I'm crying
It's only you that I'm losing
Guess I'm doing fine.


Shit. I mean, listening to this song as I type this, I'm feeling a bit teary-eyed.... And while I haven't the slightest attachment to the aforementioned ex, I can't help but feel those wistful, soul-crushing pangs of longing that I once felt then.

Yeah, this song definitely makes me sad.

1 comment:

  1. Nothing compares to "I Know Its Over" by The Smiths. "Oh mother, I can feel, the soil falling over my head...". Fucking excruciating. Again though, very good choices. I also like how you lobbed this up right at midnight :-)

    ReplyDelete