Monday, December 19, 2011

Looking ahead to 2012...

Excitement is a pretty good motivator, and you know me - I like to feverishly post about bands/songs/albums that I can't stop listening to at the moment. Well, this is one of those instances.

I played the heck out of Cape Dory by Tennis - it's pretty obvious, since it was my #2 record on my 2011 list. I'm so excited that they have a new album, called Young & Old, coming out in February 2012 (the 14th, Valentine's Day to be exact!) and they're playing in Toronto, at the Horseshoe on February 29th, leap year day! I missed out on seeing them earlier this year since I was in Portland, Oregon, so you can imagine how stoked I am to finally see them!

The first single off Young & Old is called "Origins," backed with "Deep In The Woods," which has been labelled as a b-side, but this song is SO. DAMN. GOOD. It's gotta be on the album, right? Plus they made a (super creepy, kind of disturbing) video for it. B-sides don't get videos, right?

The new album was produced by Patrick Carney, of Black Keys fame. While Cape Dory has a distinct, carefree summery feel of sailing and adventure-seeking, these two new songs still retain Tennis' jangly girl group-esque sound, but perhaps with a darker edge. Perhaps this is what Tennis sounds like land-bound, in winter or autumn? In any case, I like what I hear very much. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album - will it make my 2012 album list?

 Origins:

 

 Deep In The Woods:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment