Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The 30-Day Music Meme: Day Twenty

Day 20 — A song that you listen to when you’re angry

Define "angry." There are many kinds of angry and lots of reason to get angry. I don't listen to that typical brand of "angry" music - you know, when you feel all "GRRRR RAWRRRR ANGRY," Incredible Hulk-esque (ie. metal).

This isn't a political blog and I'd never feel confident enough to argue my views in a public forum but I feel strongly (or keeping with the theme, "get angry") about women's rights, animal rights and how media skews and spins issues to influence impressionable minds. Those are really general terms, but that's as close I'm going to get.

Reality is the new fiction they saw
Truth is truer these days, truth is man-made
If you're here 'cause you want to be entertained
Please go away.


I've read that Sleater-Kinney's "Entertain" is a commentary on copycat bands and sell-outs in the music industry. However, I think the lyrics that I quoted embody my concerns about media spin and the perception of what is real and what society "accepts." I think that if this is the shit that gets you angry (which it does for me), then this is kind of the theme song for it.

Also, back on the topic of music, this song ROCKS. And so does Sleater-Kinney in general. I miss this band so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment